We walk past dozens of fire doors every day without even noticing them. We don’t give them a second thought – at least, not until we need them.
But fire doors are a critical element in preventing the spread of fire and smoke, and it should be everybody’s responsibility in a shared building to make sure that they are fit for purpose.
Fire Door Safety Week have a simple “5 Step Check” that anyone can do:
- Look for labels or markings that show the door is third party certificated and has traceability back to the original manufacturer
- Check that the door is marked correctly with the appropriate signage and that it closes tightly against the frame
- Ensure that the door or frame has the fire and smoke seal, and that the door closes correctly with an even gap all around of about 3mm
- Check the fire-rated hinges are fitted firmly in the door and that there are no missing screws
- Make sure the door is not damaged or ever wedged or propped open
The check won’t replace a full inspection by a competent individual – but it will highlight if there are any problems that need fixing.